Employing Casual staff or students over the holiday period?

This is the time of year when many employers take on a student or two or additional casual staff to cover those taking leave.  As with any permanent staff there are some things you absolutely have to do when recruiting such people:

  • You should always get them to sign an employment agreement before they start - and this needs to be worded specifically for a casual (this way you avoid the risk they later claim to be permanent)
  • You must always get them to sign an IR 330 before you pay them

Also note that Kiwisaver is not mandatory if they are casual or if they are on a temporary contract for less than 28 days; and they may be able to get student loan repayment exemptions.

Planning in advance for these things is worthwhile - and if you need a casual agreement I can help you out.

Need help managing staff?

Mike has a wealth of experience advising on every aspect of the employer-employee relationship. I can give you per-phone guidance or work along side you to make things happen.

Keeping You Posted

11 April 2024

Essential Update - 11th April 2024

Read Now >
10 January 2024

Essential Update - First update of 2024

Read Now >
4 December 2023

Final 2023 Essential Update

Read Now >